MONTREAL, JUNE 18 @1PM: PRESS CONFERENCE PRECEDES DEMONSTRATION AGAINST DEPORTATIONS, FOR OPEN BORDERS AND A SOLIDARITY CITY
- Barry Mamadou Diouldé, a refused asylum seeker of Guinean origin living in Montreal for several years. He is a member and spokesperson for the recently formed Guinean Committee for a Status for All, a group of Guinean asylum seekers organizing together to fight their deportations.
- *Marcia, a former nanny, housekeeper and care-giver for the elderly who has lived in Montreal for 35 years without status. Marcia is active in the Non-Status Women’s Collective. She lost her sight in late 2015, due to lack of access to healthcare causing her diabetes to go untreated. She has been fighting for over a year for access to rehabilitation services.
- *Yukary and *Guadaloupe, two spokeswomen for the Non-Status Women's Collective, a group of women who have campaigned since Fall 2015 to obtain status for themselves and their families.
- Zain Alabdullah, a Syrian refugee who entered into Canada by crossing the US-Canadian border irregularly.
- Rosalind Wong, member of Solidarity Across Borders, a collective that opposes deportations and detentions and calls for open borders and a permanent and universal regularization of all migrants living in Canada (Status for All). The organization has organized an annual Status for All mobilization since 2004.
Graham Latham (English media) – 438-877-3800
Rosalind Wong (French media) – 514-220-6515
Solidarity Across Borders
• Marcia's Year-Long Fight for Access: http://www.solidarityacrossbor
• Open Letter to Justin Trudeau from the Non-Status Women's Collective of Montreal: http://www.solidarityacrossbor
• Community Alert: Montreal is NOT a Sanctuary City: http://www.solidarityacrossbor
• Principles for a Regularization Program in Canada: http://www.solidarityacrossbor